Sunday, January 10, 2016

Kseniia Kim 201300918/ IEW/ Chapter 4 Draft

No place like home

                I believe we all have that one place that brings back sweet memories. The place you would always want to go back to and relieve that moments. For me that place is my backyard in my hometown. Why? Not only was it such a common place for me, but so many special events were held there. In the summer looking out the window, into my backyard, I remember how beautiful it was. The yard was so green and it was filled with these small colorful flowers, red, yellow, pink. They had this sweet smell. I remember I liked the smell of the flowers so much that once I just kept a few in my room and when they would die I would just go pick some more from the yard. In the back, we also had four big apple trees, which border the far backside of the yard.

             My grandparents had their own garden in the back yard. I remember as a child I would always tell my granny that the vegetables in our yard, were the best vegetables ever. That would always make my grandma smile. There are cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, carrots and for fruits strawberries, raspberries and apples. My granny spends so much time in the garden, and that makes her happy. We like to have family gatherings there, especially when the weather is warm. My uncle and granddad make the best BBQ. The smell of burning coal, you can hear the meat sizzling, everything makes your mouth watery, and you cannot wait until you get a bite of the delicious piece of meat. The smell of fresh, cut cucumbers and tomatoes, just baked bread from the oven and a glass of beer is all I need to have a good time there. We like to invite our relatives for the BBQ the way we can talk, laugh and share stories. Since I graduated high school and most of my friends left to study abroad, I have tradition. Every summer when everyone comes back home I have a BBQ party at my backyard. Usually girls prepare food and serve the table while boys make the BBQ. My friends bring huge speakers, we set them outside, play music and dance. It is different kind of music from electro to pop. Once, we put the volume so high and my neighbors called the police. It was very funny and awkward for everyone. Summer is the best time to enjoy the nature and the beauty of my backyard.

            We all have that one place that brings back memories. My backyard is the place where I can rest, relieve stress and have a good time. Whenever I have BBQ in Korea, it reminds me of home. The warm feeling in my stomach makes me smile. I always go back there, knowing that my family, my friends and me would have a great time. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm Sujeong Seo. Thanks for sharing your story!
    I feel happiness and warmth in your essay. The sentences are easy to read and your story reminds me of general sympathy about home. I can definitely feel the sounds of laughing and chatting, smell of flowers and taste of BBQ. And the reasons that you like the yard is very clear and simple: it reminds you of your happy memory with your family and friends.:)
    But I wondered that whether you lived with your grandparents or not. In the 2nd paragraph, you mentioned that your grandparents had their own garden so it made me a bit confused. It sounds like you started your grandparents' backyard story, not yours.
    And you wrote ".... so many special events were held there." in the 1st paragraph so I expected some impressive descriptions. But I afraid to say that it is hard to find special events in this essay. I think it will be improved if you write more about the police accident or another episode in the backyard. Also, in my opinion, it'd be better if you use one tense and divide the 2nd paragraph at the sentence: "Since I graduated ~."

    ReplyDelete
  2. No place like the backyard
    I believe we all have that one place that brings back unforgettable memories, the place you always want to go back to and relieve those moments. For me that place is my backyard in my hometown. Why? Not only was it such a common place for me, but so many special events were held there. In the summer looking out the window, into my backyard, I remember how beautiful it was. The yard was green and it was filled with red roses and beautiful sunflowers. I remember I liked the smell of the flowers so much that once I kept a few in my room and when they would die I would just go pick some more from the yard.
    The backyard is big. On the left side of the yard, there is a small summerhouse, where we gather if the weather is rainy or windy. On the right side there is a small garden filled with fruits and vegetables. I remember as a child I would always tell my granny that the vegetables in our garden, were the best vegetables ever. That would always make my grandma smile. There are cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, carrots and for fruits strawberries, raspberries and apples. My granny spends so much time in the garden, and that makes her happy. We like to have family gatherings there, especially when the weather is warm. My uncle and granddad make the best barbeque. The smell of burning coal, you hear the meat sizzling, everything makes your mouth watery, and you cannot wait until you get a bite of the delicious meat. The smell of fresh, cut cucumbers and tomatoes, fresh baked bread from the oven and a glass of beer is all I need to have a good time there. We like to invite our relatives to the barbeque that way we can talk, laugh and share stories.
    Since I graduated high school and most of my friends left to study abroad, I have a tradition. Every summer when everyone comes back home I have a barbeque party in my backyard. Usually girls prepare food and serve the table while boys make the barbeque. My friends bring huge speakers, we set them outside, play music and dance. We play different kinds of music from electro to pop. Once, we turned the volume up so high that my neighbors called the police. It was very funny and awkward for everyone. We told the police that we would be quite and they left. Summer is the best time to enjoy the nature and the beauty of my backyard.
    Throughout my life, I will always carry the happy memories from my backyard. It will be the number one place, where I can rest, relieve stress and have a good time. I know that whenever I go back to the yard my family, my friends and I will have a great time and make new unforgettable memories.

    ReplyDelete