Monday, January 11, 2016

IEW/201301547 Valeriya Bek/ Chapter 4/ Draft

Unknown Solider

            May 2010 was the time when I visited Moscow and all famous attractions of the Russia. After walking on Res Square and observing the great atmosphere of the Russian Kremlin, our tourist group moved outside of the Red Square. We went behind the Kremlin and walked in the park enjoying the warm weather and bright atmosphere of being in such a wonderful place. As I was young, I did not pay too much attention on what the guide is saying and did not where we would go next.

            After a several minutes of walking in the park, we stopped in front of the tombstones made of red brick.  The Iron battle flag laid on the tombstones is hanging above the ground as if it can fall down at any moment. Laurel brunch and helmet solider with engraved the star lying on the battle flag makes understand every one the meaning of this monument. In the middle of the memorial there is a bronze five-pointed star in the middle of which the eternal flame warms the heart of every person standing near the monument. The bronze inscription above the star says: "Your name is unknown, your deed is immortal"

            For me, as a person who was born in Russia, Unknown Soldier's grave is a favorite monument because even people who do not know the history of the Russia can see the monument on TV every ninth of May, the Day of the Victory of the Great Patriotic War. However, when I saw the monument and eternal flame that is slightly growing in the wind at the tombstones in real life, I started to feel the pride and love of the country and the tears from the eyes made me understand the importance of the commemoration of the heroes who fought during the war and was giving their live for a life of today's generation.

            The deep silence has scared me and I hear the heartbeat of people standing near me. Even children who were laughing several minutes ago were standing in front of the star asking their parents what does this memorial means very quietly. I did not want to leave this place because I could not breathe and make a step for leaving. The feeling of gratefulness and apologize that a lot of unknown soldiers make us see today the blue sky and green grass.

2 comments:

  1. Alexandra.
    The point of your essay, in my view, is your patriotic mood. The way you described a famous Russian grave is well-organized and detailed, so it is easy to understand the atmosphere and feelings you have had so far. But I would add describe words or adjectives, so the essay would be more colorful.
    Also, the details about a crying child, and a guide, which you didn't listen to carefully due to your young age, were the great additions, so I was able imagine the full picture due to these contrasts. Perhaps, if you also would use the other senses beside sight, such as touch, sound or smell, it also would make your essay more well-described.
    Otherwise, I like your sincerity and mood throughout your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your essay. I think you showed your mood to the reader clearly. It would be better if you describe a little more what you felt and what was around you, the monument.
    You are vet patriotic and greatfull for those who saved your country. I respect that.
    Kseniia

    ReplyDelete