Monday, January 11, 2016

IEW-PangWingPui/1st Draft a children playground/ 10-1-2016

 When I was in primary school, I lived with my maternal grandparents because my mother was busy with her work. After finishing all the daily homework, almost every day, if the weather was good, my grandmother and grandfather would bring me to play in a children playground. It was located in one of the normal public housing estate in Hong Kong, in fact there are usually a few playgrounds in one estate, so you could always find one near every residential blocks. They were very similar, but I thought the one which was the nearest to my grandparents' home was the most interesting because the slide was a bit longer and there was two extra swings. I thought it was a higher level playground compared with the others, and that was the reason why it was bustling.

  The rush hour in the playground was around 4pm to 6pm, it seemed that all the children in the estate has come to play there. It was surrounded by two residential blocks, thus every weekdays at that period of time, those flats which its windows faced toward the playground would hear the big noise from the playground. Screaming, laughing and yelling. But it was normal, no one would ever complain about that. At that time, Children did not own a computer and there were no smart phones or I pads, so playing in a playground was our most important entertainment.

   The floor was laid by square rubber safety mats, chequered with red and green colour like a big chessboard. The size was around a half of a basketball ground. The sharp yellow slide on the right side and a green seesaw, a yellow merry go round and two brown swings on the left side. Except one side of walkway which is next to the slide, another sides were surrounded by trees and benches that the housewife mothers were sitting and chatting under the shade of trees while their children were having fun with the playground equipment. My grandmother usually would chat with some of the housewife mothers on the bench and my grandfather would sit aside and listen to the radio in the pocket of his shirt.

  The playground was a social network of the children. I met many new friends there, many new friends who were not from my same school. We usually played hide-and-seek, it is the most excited and interesting game ever. When the catcher were on the floor, I would run to the upper side of the slide, when he/she come up, I slid down, but sometimes I was not fast enough to run. The game would be joined by more and more children as more children has arrived the playground. In the playground, I saw many children were running around. With the sound of heavy breath, their faces turned so red and their front hair blew up because they were running so hard. A child were running around the merry-go-round with one hand holding on the handle for turning it quickly, the children standing on it were laughing happily. There was full of the smell of the sweat. At this moment, their mothers would call them to stop for few minutes and drink some water. So do my grandmother.

  After 5 o'clock, part of the children has left, they were unwilling to leave because the game wasn't end and many children were still there. But they had to listen to their mother. My grandparents spoiled me so much that they would let me play so long until the game ended. The sky turning darker, children were going home, they playground returned to quiet. I went home with my grandparents and grandmother started to prepare for dinner. When we left the playground, they would always asked me with smile " Did you have fun?". I would answer surly" Yes!! I had." with a sweaty and red face.

  I miss the simple life when I was living with my grandparents. Every time when I walked pass the playground I think of the happy time when I was in childhood time and the love of my grandparents because they spend those time in the playground just want me to be happy. I appreciate so much they bring me the memory of children playground. Nowadays, children are in high stress in the busy schedule of heavy homework, dancing class, math class, music instrument class and so on. The children playground is no more bustling as before. Some of the equipment were renewed and some of the equipment were even removed. It is hard to find a swing and merry-go- round in most of the children playground now. Sometimes I think I was lucky to born in that decade.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, it's Hwisoo Jung. I think you've done an excellent job in describing the playground that you played when you were young. I can draw the image right in my head. Not only that, but also you wrote into very detail about how children and you played in the playground. I can also feel your grandparents' affection to you.
    I also feel the same about children these days, because the situation in Korea isn't very different from Hong Kong. Because I had the same experience with you when I was a child, it was very fun to read.
    But I think there are a few grammar mistakes about tense, so I recommend you to reread it and correct them. Anyway, I think it's a well-written piece of writing, because I can understand why this children playground is important for you. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your essay and how you clearly described the moment of your life in details. I imagined the picture while I was reading your essay.

    I think you did a god job, and explain the place clearly, except the your own feelings and emotions.

    You described a lot of details especially about playground. But I think you can write more sensory details after revising.

    Actually I would like to see more information about the atmosphere that you felt and more about your mood, how you felt and what did you think about.

    I think this story is very important for you because you remember it very clear. It also as very interesting to read about the childhood of other people and compare with mine.

    I think after revising you can avoid some grammar mistakes, and maybe if you will reread the essay you will inspired to add more about your feelings. and how you look at this story today.

    ReplyDelete