Tuesday, January 12, 2016

IEW: TSE SZE WAI - FINAL ESSAY: THE PLACE WHERE MY DREAM TAKES OFF

A Place Where My Dream Takes Off

    It has been a while since last time I got up to the roof of the observation tower. The wind is fondling my face and the noise made by airplanes is rushing into my ears. The full view of the Hong Kong International Airport is under my sight. It is not a very special place to most of the people in Hong Kong. However, it is important to me. It participated my past; it will also be a part of my future.

  I am the only child in my family. My parents and I are close but sometimes I still needed a fellow by my side to talk to me. When I was attending primary school, I used to sit beside the window, look up to the sky and talk to it. I know it sounds like I was mentally deranged and the picture is very depressing. Nevertheless, I felt my words were heard. I was happy and the sky became my friend. I loved looking at the sky. The shape of clouds and the colour of the sky changed all the time. Sometimes, airplanes flew across the sky when I was looking at it. I thought, 'flying in a plane is the best way to be with my friend. I want to be that close to the sky.' Since then, I had always wanted to go to the airport since it was a place where airplanes took off and landed. Airports are inseparable with the sky.

  When I entered secondary school, my parents started to let me go outside without their company. For the very first time, I decided to go to the airport alone. Hong Kong International Airport was an artificial island and it was a bit far away from the town. I took a bus to go there. When the bus was crossing the highway bridge, I saw an airplane flying on my right side. We were heading to the same direction. After I got off the bus, I went straight to the lobby of departure. What caught my eyes was the airplane that was hung on the ceiling. It was close to the uncovered corridor; I could almost touch it. Suddenly, the scent of coffee poured over me. There were three coffee shops on that floor. I chose the one which was the closest to those full view glass windows so that I could see the sky clearly. All these coffee shops did not have walls. They were like open-air cafes, yet located inside a building. Therefore, I saw people rushing around me. I started to observe the structure of the airport and what people were doing when I was sipping at my hot Latte.  

  The ceiling of the airport was high and contained lots of glass area allowing sunlight to come in. Most of the parts of the airport were made by glass so that people would not feel that they were trapped in it. The interior atmosphere was modern and energetic. At that time, the airport has been constructed for a few years only. Everything in it was new and up-to-date. People in the departure lobby were very excited since they were about to take the airplanes and fly to other places. I was smiling unintentionally when I saw people laughing and taking photos with their friends and families. It was pretty noisy. People were talking about their journey keenly; trolleys and luggage were running in hurry; airplanes were racing on the runways. I usually did not like staying in a noisy place, but the airport was an exception. Those were sound of happiness. I spent an afternoon there. I felt relaxing and had a good mood when I went back home.

  After my first journey to the airport, I went there quite often during the whole secondary school period. I went there whenever I was sad, stressful or depressed. It always calmed me down and made me smile. A dream had been developing during those times I spent in the airport. I want to work in aviation industry and airport; I want to work in a place that gave me so much comfort and happiness in these years; I want to work with my friend who is always there whenever I look up and need to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment