Sunday, January 3, 2016

IEW: TSE SZE WAI: ESSAY 2 FIRST DRAFT

  He is a tough man. He is a bus driver. He has been a bus driver since I have known him. About twelve years ago, I first got to know that he was a businessman, a quite successful one. He made some money, lived a luxury life and always had numerous 'friends' around him. He guaranteed for some of his 'friends'' to borrow a large sum of money from banks and they ran away. With troubles in his own business, he has become heavily in debt. Although he was desperate, he did not turn to alcohol or tried to give up his life. He became a bus driver and worked hard to fed his family. He married my mother when he was a businessman; I was born when he became a bus driver. He is my father.

  My dad is a chestnut. He is tough but has a warm heart. He has dark skin and a quite scary face. When I was young, he occasionally came to school and picked me up. Many of my friends told me that he seemed so scary; some of them even asked me whether my father was a member of a Triad group. However, they all changed their mind after they spent some times with my dad. He is actually very helpful, sociable and talkative. 

  My father does not have high education level; he dropped out from Secondary one. However, he is very clever. He reads a lot and teaches me a lot of things. He is interested in many things, especially in history, social issues and politics. He can talk for a few hours without rest. I enjoy chatting with him. We were once having a buffet lunch and talking keenly as usual. After my dad left his seat going to get some food, a woman who sat next to our table greeted me and asked, 'Hello, how are you? Is the man you father?' 'yes' I replied. She seems a bit shocked and said, 'oh, I am so sorry for asking such a weird question. I am just curious since you guys talk to each other like friends.' My dad came back and I introduced him to the lady. We chatted and had a very nice afternoon.

   I had never known that my family has had a financial problem. Although we live in a public-housing estate, I have never thought once we are poor. My dad always gives me the best things. He seldom rejects my requests. I had chances to learn different kinds of musical instruments, learn different languages and join overseas study tours. He never asks me to be a music expert or language master. He just wants me to treasure the time and experience as many aspects as possible. His words still whisper in my ear, 'this is the best time for you to learn, to experience and to enjoy. I don't want you to miss any opportunities because of money. There is nothing you should worry. I am not a rich father but you are my rich daughter.' 

 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, it's Hwisoo Jung. I read your writing with lots of interest. I have to say that you described your dad very well. Especially, I can feel your love toward dad on this writing. However, I think it'd be better if you could add a bit more description of your dad's appearance. For example, if he's tall or small or which hair and eye color he has, etc. I also liked reading what your dad said to you directly via dialogue. It's very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this is Alexandra. I think that small stories about you and your father were a great tool to describe him. I could fully picture your father's appearance due to descriptive language you used in the essay. However, instead of just saying "he is scary", it would be better if you would describe more about it, using more adjectives. Otherwise, great first draft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~ this is Sujeong
    Thanks for sharing your story!
    Your father must be very generous, strong and intimate person.
    He borrowed a lot of money to the friends by bank loan, taking all the risks. I know it is really hard for someone who was rich before to lower his or her attitude and seek for another way. Your father's strong will is so touching. He struggled and started all over again to support his family.
    I imagined your kind father spending time with you and your friends and it makes me smile :) And many fathers in Asia are bit authoritative and rarely talk with their children but your father is friendly and take care of you. Last sentence is definitely awesome: "I am not a rich father but you are my rich daughter."
    For these reasons you might choose to describe him. He looks so precious to you. By the way, have you and he ever fought with each other badly? Your father seems like perfect and I was wondering how he dealt with conflict if it happened.

    ReplyDelete