Sunday, January 10, 2016

IEW/ Hwisoo Jung/ Gwangalli


I was born in Busan on 28th October, 1994 and grew up there until I was in high school, so basically it's my hometown. And Busan is very famous for the sea and the beach nationally. Because of that, since I was a small 4 years old girl, (or maybe younger than that age but I don't remember) I went to the beaches in Busan such as Haeundae (An affluent beach front community in Busan) and Gwangalli (Another famous beach in Busan) holding hands with my parents and 1 year younger sister. My parents took my sister and I over these places, but mainly to Gwangalli and showed us the deep blue sea with infinite horizon and the azure, clean sky. But actually when I was young, I didn't enjoy visiting there that much because I didn't really feel anything even if I saw the scenery. I couldn't understand why my parents always brought my sister and I to Gwangalli that frequently. Anyway, even if it wasn't my cup of tea, because my parents loved visiting there in weekend both in summer and winter, it was a common weekly routine for me. There wasn't anything to complain about, because I liked wherever I go with my family. However, I didn't know that there was something special at the sea back then.


During summertime, my family and relatives went to Gwangalli together to swim and to enjoy the fresh air, wind in a touristic atmosphere. Even if we weren't tourists, we just did the same thing like all other tourists did in Busan. We brought a cold fresh huge watermelon and ate it underneath a huge parasol which was under the intense sunlight. That was the best thing that I could do in summer. In winter on the other hand, my family went to Gwangalli with a cup of hot coffee or hot chocolate each. Even if it was cold outside, we just chatted together appreciating the scenery except for me. Still then, I didn't really feel if the beach is beautiful. My mom said, "Hwisoo, take a look over there. Isn't it spectacular?" And I replied, "Well, maybe. I don't really know." Then my mom smiled and said "You'll understand it someday when you grow up more." And my mom was turned out to be right.


That was the second year in autumn at high school, when I first have realized that visiting the beach is something different from what I had felt. I couldn't visit Haeundae and Gwangalli as frequently as I had done before because I had to study a lot for university entrance examination. One Saturday, I was sick of studying so I just visited Gwangalli beach alone instead of going to academy. I don't know why I went to Gwangalli myself either, but I just felt like doing so. When I arrived there, I could smell the tang of salt sea air. I could also feel the cool and fresh wind on my face. I could hear the cry of seagulls. "Ah!" When I saw the sea, I couldn't help exclaiming. I noticed what I had been missing until then. The vast deep blue sea was reflecting the sunlight and was shining like a bunch of crystals. The sky was serene and azure, there were some seagulls flying, and I could appreciate the spectacular view with the bridge together. I went to a cafĂ©, ordered a tea and kept looking at the view unconsciously. Gwangalli had been changed a lot while I was growing up in Busan. They were modernized and so many new buildings were built up. However, no matter what, the sea remained the same since I was young and welcomed me all the time. Watching the sea, I realized how many memories I shared with the sea. Since then, whenever I felt depressed or lonely, I started visiting Gwangalli and pulled myself together. I talked with the sea that shared my childhood, adolescent memories. When I go back to Busan next week, I'll definitely visit Gwangalli again, to share my adult memories. I'm so glad that Gwangalli waits for me all the time at the same place like a lifetime friend. 

2 comments:

  1. Daeseong Ko
    First of all, I really like your various expression of beach. I realize you and I have a similar writing topic but have a lot of difference of expressing it, like 'the vast deep blue sea.' I really appreciate if i know the change of Gwangalli. For example what kind of building was built.
    Thank you for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like best about the essay is the turning point. At first, you said you did not understand the beauty of the beach but you realised it after you lost chances to go there frequently.

    I think you describe the place quite clearly, especially in the last paragraph. However, I am not sure the reason why you see the place so differently. Is it just simply because you have not been there for a while or it is done by the stress of studying?

    You appeal to many different senses. 'When I arrived there, I could smell the tang of salt sea air. I could also feel the cool and fresh wind on my face. I could hear the cry of seagulls.' It makes me feel like I was there as well.

    The atmosphere there seems change differently depending on what your mood is. It seemed dull in the first paragraph but full of colour in the last paragraph.

    I think the reason why you chose this place to write is because it is the place your family and you share some unforgettable memories. It means a lot to you.

    I think you can describe not only what you see but also the general landscape of the beach, for instance, what other people do or how the place changes in different seasons.

    ReplyDelete