Wednesday, January 13, 2016

IEW_Alexandra_The Mysterious Island_final draft

The Mysterious Island

I believe in destiny. I believe that people we meet, places we go and time we spend doing certain things- are the choices that somehow are related by the destiny. The destiny that, I believe, every person is able to build, making choices. Every time I look back, thinking deeply about the choices I had throughout my life, I always see the connection between them and how they actually did bring me where I am now. One of the best choices I had in my life was joining the Korean traditional dance class, which not only gave me a huge variety of experience, but also, most importantly, brought me to the place that wholly changed my life and future plans. For me this place is very special. I call it "the mysterious island".

I had been attending the Korean traditional dance class since I was seven. No matter how much I was busy with school courses and exams I never missed dance classes until I graduated from my high school. For the last seven years while I had been a part of the dance group we have become quite famous in my country, so we had be given the opportunity to practice somewhere overseas. It was the last summer of my high school when my dance group and me for the first time visited our motherland, South Korea, to practice for one month in the Namdo National Center of Korean Performing Arts.

The center is located in the southern part of peninsula- Jindo Island. It takes five hours by bus to go there from Seoul. So as soon as we arrived in Seoul and got on the bus, I already enjoyed the way to Jindo Island. While listening to my favorite music, which is all One Republic's songs, I was looking out the window while the bus had been passing by different cities and villages. I tried to picture in my mind all the beautiful and stunning views I had seen- the wild rice fields, sparkling in different colors, as if someone was drawing the landscape; a breathtaking sunrise at the sea, which had a rich palette- mostly orange-red colors, but in the same time mixed with a dark blue, so I knew the night was almost here. The long way to Jindo Island was full of gorgeous and unforgettable sceneries, as if it was saying me that the Island is more marvelous place. We were crossing the bridge that connects the Island with peninsula, and I already saw a relief landscape with small and big mountains. Since it was late evening, the color of the lay was dark green, because the mountains were covered with forests, like they were under a big green blanket.

The first thing I did when I got off the bus I closed my eyes and deeply breathed the air. The air was very different from Seoul; it was very chilly and clean, mixed with forest and sea odor. Also the moisture in the air made me feel a bit thirsty, so I breathed even deeper, like I literally tried to quench my thirst by breathing.

While living in the National Center, my group and me had been practicing from 9am to 10pm with only lunch and dinner breaks. Even though the schedule was a bit tough, I enjoyed everyday practice, learning more about traditional dances and culture. Every day after the evening practice, I took the shower and straightly went for a walk near the center. The air, the whether and the landscape were exactly the same when I first came. I was walking around as if I was looking for some treasures that the Island might hide from me. But everything what I did is just delighting the surroundings- the dark green dense forests, the impressive mountains and the see breeze. The summer wind, which was winnowing its way through the grass, was another pleasure the nature gave me every night I walked around. In the end, I did not find any treasure, but I definitely found something more significant. I found myself. I found my purpose.

While walking around every night, my mind was constantly full of thoughts- mostly I was thinking of my future, building plans without even realizing it. I clearly could hear myself, like I was talking to myself out loud. I could better understand what was important to me at that time. I dreamed a lot about my future, and I got the dream I wanted to achieve. I got the purpose I wanted to live for. This is how I decided to come to South Korea to get a bachelor degree and realize all my future plans.

The peaceful atmosphere and unique calmness that I was surrounded by spiritually raised me up. At that moment I was truly grateful to the destiny for bringing me to the Island that I still visit every summer. The Island where I can logout from my routine and meditate for a while.

I will never forget this moment in my life. I will never forget the place I was inspired by. And, without a doubt, I will never forget the mysterious island.   

No comments:

Post a Comment