Sunday, January 10, 2016

Jee-hyoun Kim/ Like mother, Like daughter(Ch.3 Final essay) / IEW

Like mother, like daughter

There is an old saying: "Like father, like son." Though it's a famous adage, I have never thought this is suitable for me. My parents used to tell me that I am not like father, and also mother. I'm not as smart as my father and neither am I diligent like my mother. But, I always wanted to be like them, especially my mother.

My mother is a good housewife who takes good care of her family. She looks like an ordinary middle-aged Korean woman: She has a short black hair. About 150 centimeters tall, she is considered short. She used to have a slim body, until she turned into the late forties. As she got older, she gained some weight. She is very diligent to work out every day and that kind of regular work out made her body fit. She has big eyes with arched eye brows. She sometimes wears red framed glasses, which makes her look old-fashioned. Her lips are small, and they are bit protruded as if she was eager to talk about something. High cheek bones and strong chin make her look obstinate. I resembled her cheek bones and chin, and I think this is the only part of my body that I look alike her. My mother smiles like a child, and that smiley face makes her look naive.

My mother is very candid person who always tell the truth. She honestly says things that coming up in her mind and never tell a lie. Some people may consider that telling the truth is being honest. It has both advantage and disadvantage. It sometimes hurt others feeling. Whenever I asked her if I look fat, she said: "You look chubby and really need to exercise like I do. Work out every day, and stop eating sweets." I once thought it's the worst part of her that needed to be fixed as soon as possible. I recommended her to think about what she is going to say before she speaks.

However, some people liked her for being honest. They told me that she is trustworthy. Though she hardly flattered others, she at least said the truth. Before marriage, she used to work as a piano teacher. The students used to like her for being honest: she told their weak points and strength directly. I heard that it helped them a lot for their improvement. For being honest, she could help them out in a good way.

For now, I'm trying to be more like my mother. The people around her trust her. She is a good advisor, indeed. Whenever I need help, I also go and ask her about the matter. Of course, like the old days, she barely says something sweet. She just tells the truth for others. Sometimes, it can hurt others feeling. But at the same time, being honest can be the best solution to help others. I want to become more like my mother, the best advisor in my life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment