Sunday, January 10, 2016

IEW / Important place(first draft) / Song Inyeong

Happy Grave

Song Inyeong

My grandmother passed away. The funeral was the second one I've ever attended. My first funeral was of my great grandmother's. It meant nothing to me, because I had had no memories with her at all. But my grandmother had some memories with me.There wasn't many things to do as a grandson there, except bowing down as a part of ritual. The mortician had us say good bye in front of her body before coffin her. I was surprised that I cried out loud like a child, because I hadn't cried since I was in elementary school.

Her body went through crematorium, and after one and half hours, she came back to us as a handful ash. Our next destination was her hometown, Cheongdo. I thought she might be happy to come back to her hometown. The place was a small town with many persimmon trees. On the way of Cheongdo, I was watching landscape without saying anything. It was winter and the outside was stark. The land was filled with dark colored trees and bear hills without grasses. The village we arrived was just right under the mountain, and I was thinking about hike up to get to the cemetery. One nameless bridge was not wide enough to drive through it by car. Anyway, it was fortunate that we was able to drive that mountain road.

We said goodbye on the coffin, buried it, and stepped on it. Now the view of the cemetery is the one of the place I remember, when I think of my grandmother. Few months ago, my mom and I visited her grave again with my uncles and siblings. Persimmon was fully ripen into scarlet-red. Everyone looked delighted to see her again. The air was fresh, and the weather was clear. We joyfully talked about each other in front of her, just like she's alive. I felt like she's really listening our small talks with her special smile on her face. We are alive, and she's dead. But the place let us feel her existence. My aunt's family and my family found a narrow track that cosmos is swinging by breeze, along the car road. We took many pictures of full happiness.

2 comments:

  1. Daeseong Ko
    I think you have a same posting problem like you had last time. I think it will be better to check what the problem is. I read by copying and pasting to Microsoft Word.
    I think giving specific detail, like professor said, will be much better.
    Thank you for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    I'm sorry to hear that. I like the essay
    However, it would be better if you use more specific details describing 5 senses
    For example, "her special smile" what kind of smile? Or it would be better if you tell us what the sky looked like, the area.
    And the font is really weird big size
    I don't know what the problem is
    Thanks for your writing, good luck :)

    ReplyDelete