Sunday, January 10, 2016

IEW: TSE SZE WAI : FINAL ESSAY

  It is not a very special place to most of the people in Hong Kong. However, it is a place, which is very important to me, especially my childhood. This is the Hong Kong International Airport.

  I am the only child in my family. My parents and I are close but sometimes I still need a fellow by my side to talk to me. Although I have friends, they cannot be there whenever I need them. When I was attending primary school, I used to sit beside the window, look up to the sky and talk to it. I know it sounds like I was mentally deranged and the picture was very depressing. Nevertheless, I felt my words were heard. I was happy and the sky became my friend. I loved looking at the sky. The shape of clouds and the colour of the sky changed all the time. Sometimes, airplanes flew across the sky when I was looking at it. I thought, 'flying in a plane is the best way to be with my friend. I want to be this close to the sky.' Since then, I had always wanted to go to the airport since it was a place where airplanes took off and landed. Airport was inseparable with the sky.

   When I entered the secondary school, my parents started to let me go outside alone without their company. I decided to go to the airport. Hong Kong International Airport was an artificial island and it was a bit far away from the city. I took a bus to go there. Through the window, I could see airplanes flying to the same direction as the bus I was taking since we were heading to the same direction. After I got off the bus, I went straight to the lobby of departure. The scent of coffee poured over me. There were three coffee shops on that floor. I chose one of them and sat down. The one I chose was the closest to those full view glass windows so that I could see the sky clearly. All these coffee shops did not have walls. They were just like open-air cafes, yet located inside a building. Therefore, I could see people rushing around me when I was sipping at my hot Latte.  

  People in the departure lobby were very excited since they were about to take the airplanes and fly to other places. I was smiling unintentionally when I saw people laughing and taking photos with their friends and families. It was pretty noisy. People were talking about their journey keenly; trolleys and luggages were running in hurry; airplanes were racing on the runway. I usually did not like staying in a noisy place, but the airport was an exception. Those were sound of happiness.

   During the whole secondary school period, I went to the airport quite often. When I went there, even if I was sad or depressed, it could always calm me down and make me smile. A dream of mine had been developed. I wanted to work in aviation industry and work in airport. I wanted to work in a place that gave me so much comfort and happiness in these years. I wanted to work with my dear friend.

1 comment:

  1. Hi szewai^_^ I think you gave a good description to the HK international airport. Although I know how there look like, I can see it and feel it again from your angle. The use of senses make the place be more real and livly to me. The rythm is slow which I feel comfortable to feel every details in the airport. I can imgine the atmosphere there with the coffee scent and the sun light coming throngh the big windows ,sitting in the cafe and seeing people walking around. I feel how this place is important to you because it is a place you can be slow down in the busy life and where is cheerful to you. I feel happy you find your aim too.

    PangWing Pui

    ReplyDelete