Thursday, January 7, 2016

IEW: TSE SZE WAI - HE IS A BUS DRIVER

 He is a bus driver. He has been a bus driver since I have known him. About twelve years ago, I first got to know that he was a businessman, a quite successful one. He made some money, lived a luxury life and always had numerous 'friends' around him. He guaranteed for some of his 'friends'' to borrow a large sum of money from banks and they ran away. With troubles in his own business, he has become heavily in debt. Although he was desperate, he did not turn to alcohol or tried to give up his life. He became a bus driver and worked hard to fed his family. He married my mother when he was a businessman; I was born when he became a bus driver. He is a tough man. He is my father.

  My dad is a chestnut. He is tough but has a warm heart. After what he went through, he is still a very helpful person. It is hard for one to change his or her personality. In appearance, we are quite different. He is darker than me. He has thick eyebrow and small eyes. Some parts of his hair turned grey; they are not as bushy as before as well. Since dental health was not an important issue in his generation, it is not surprise that he has bad teeth. Everyone says I look like my mother. However, I do have my dad's nose, which is quite wide and flat. He always jokes about something and he laughs a lot. Nevertheless, when he is not smiling, his facial expressions seem to tell others that he is angry about something, yet he is not. When I was young, he occasionally came to school and picked me up. Many of my friends told me that he seemed so scary; some of them even asked me whether my father was a member of a Triad group. However, they all changed their mind after they spent some times with my dad. He is actually very helpful, sociable and talkative. 

  My father does not have high education level; he dropped out from Secondary one. However, he is very clever. He reads a lot and teaches me a lot of things. He is interested in many things, especially in history, social issues and politics. He can talk for hours without rest. I enjoy chatting with him. We were once having a buffet lunch and talking keenly as usual. After my dad left his seat going to get some food, a woman who sat next to our table greeted me and asked, 'Hello, how are you? Is the man you father?' 'yes' I replied. She seems a bit shocked and said, 'oh, I am so sorry for asking such a weird question. I am just curious since you guys talk to each other like friends.' My dad came back and I introduced him to the lady. We chatted and had a very nice afternoon.

   I had never known that my family has had a financial problem. Although we live in a public-housing estate, I have never thought once we are poor. My dad always gives me the best things. He seldom rejects my requests. I had chances to learn different kinds of musical instruments, learn different languages and join overseas study tours. He never asks me to be a music expert or language master. He just wants me to treasure the time and experience as many aspects as possible. His words still whisper in my ear, 'this is the best time for you to learn, to experience and to enjoy. I don't want you to miss any opportunities because of money. There is nothing you should worry. I am not a rich father but you are my rich daughter.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment