Wednesday, December 23, 2015

SujeongSeo/My attitude towards writing/2015.12.22

In last semester, I took a class about climate change. As a final test, students had to submit an essay. Unfortunately, I was so busy with other essays and exams and I faced lack of time. I ended up without proper paraphrasing and I just handed it in. My professor, justly brought my writing into question as plagiarism. As a result, I got C+ even though my attitude in class or presentation was evaluated well. I felt really depressed but I took it as a good lesson. After that, I've paid my attention when I quote someone's writing. I've always tried to make my own argument rather than use others. This habit made me as a better writer compared with before.


When it comes to write in English, I felt a kind of stuffy because sometimes it is hard to find proper words or expression to show my logic. A friend of mine recommended me that when I do brainstorming, think in English, not Korean. Firstly, it sounded weird and unnatural. But I gave it a try and I realized it works for me. This method also has side effect that my writing looks like it is written by an elementary school student. So I think I should be familiar with academic words and expression.

2 comments:

  1. Hwisoo Jung : I think your recommendation of writing, thus 'think in English when brainstorming' could help me in writing. Thank you for giving us the useful tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Jee-hyoun Kim.
    I love your anecdote on writing. It is quite impressive and it shows the clear message.
    It would be much better if the second paragrph included something related to the first one. It can be what you learned or realized your writing problem from the experience.

    ReplyDelete