Sunday, December 27, 2015

Hwisoo Jung/ Experience that I remember clearly

"Come on, Hwisoo! We should be in a rush! We are supposed to meet at 1PM!" Leo shouts hurriedly. My friend Leopold wore the white linen shirt with green pants. Grabbing sunglasses on his one hand, with a key on the other hand, he checks again if there's something missing before going out. "Okay, I'm following you right behind, I prepared all. Don't worry, Leo." I said relaxedly. Today, I wore a white shirt also, with short jeans and pink lip glosses.


We open the white door, got out of his house together. It's a sunny, clear, warm day today fortunately. The sun is so bright, the sky is azure, and the canal is crystal clear. Now we're waiting Leo's friends right beside the canal. I hear the sparrows chirp right above us in the tree. Not long after, I can see his four tall, slender and blonde friends that all wore sunglasses on a huge, brown wooden-plastic boat with a dramatic music turned on (my head is a jungle by wankelnut, which is very popular lately as it's used for the background music of the Ives Saint Laurant advertisement) at a high volume.


His friends helped me get in the boat kindly, and some of them that I've never met before introduce themselves to me. "Hello, I'm Levi. Nice to meet you, do you like staying here in Amsterdam?" Levi extends his hand for a handshake and smiles at me taking off sunglasses. "Hey, it's Willem. Is Leo treating you well? Oh yes, this is my uncle's boat. I learnt how to drive the boat from him and now I got the boat driving license. It's necessary to drive a boat on the canals in the Netherlands." A guy called Willem is driving the boat skillfully as if it's his daily life. He turns the wheel powerfully and we start touring the canals in Amsterdam.


As the boat crosses the canal, I can feel the cool, light breeze and fresh air right onto my face. The water is serene in the sunlight and there are various kinds of fresh green trees, shops, cafes, and restaurants lining at the streets that are situated in both left and right sides of the canal. Some people are taking a rest in the café or on the bench on the street and they stare at us on the boat unconsciously. After meeting their eyes I wave at them and they wave me back smiling. I'm totally elated and excited by this amazing experience, my heart is full of joy at this moment so I just keep smiling and waving others in the boat.


 This summer holidays' memory this year is so priceless and valuable to me that I still remember very clearly every single moment. Riding a private boat in Amsterdam when the weather is perfect with friends isn't something common I can experience in my life. Leo's friends were all very nice and hospitable to me. I feel like falling into the memories vividly writing this again. I long for this peaceful and fun time so badly. 

2 comments:

  1. I could feel what you felt in Amsterdam thanks to your details. I saw how you remember the day clearly and how you cherish the memory in your mind.
    I like your style which present tense is used. But at some part, past tense would have been better, I think. Still, listening to the description about exotic city view is exciting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very nice since you wrote so much details in the essay. For example, your have mentioned what Leopold said, what he wore and even what he was holding in his hand. Besides, the way you described who you met and what had happened on the boat drew my attention. All these details brought me into the scene; it seemed like I was there with you meeting those new friends one by one.

    ReplyDelete