Sunday, December 27, 2015

Jee-hyoun Kim/ Week1 essay first draft / IEW

When my family lived abroad, we received a call from Korea. We heard that grandmother went ill so she is now in the hospital. At first, we thought it's not serious. Since she used to tell us she's ill, she did medical checkup annually. Every time, it turned out that it's not fatal. She ended up with taking medicine. Her body was very fragile so she always took vitamin, ginseng, and herbal medicine. I once thought she was so lonely that she was lying to get attention from her sons. However, it was a bit different. All the relatives said she's very ill and they wanted my father to come and see grandmother. He went back to Korea, and spent a week with his mother.

After he came back, I could hear what's happening with her. She was hospitalized, doing various medical examination, to see the cause of her sickness. She looked skinner and pale. My dad looked so sad. It turned out that she is having a lung cancer. We couldn't even imagine it. She never ever have smoked in whole life. The one who smoked wasn't grandmother, but grandfather. He smoked a lot, even inside the house with all the windows closed. Whenever he smoked, she started to cough a lot. She was experiencing the final stage of lung cancer. And we were told to prepare ourselves to send her away.

About a week passed. Once again, telephone rang. It was my aunt. She wanted us to come to Korea as soon as possible. Grandmother was in coma. We just ran to the airport. After the long flight, the plane landed to Korea. And he received a call. On the way we are coming back to Korea, my grandmother passed away. Before we pass the immigration, he started to cry. It was the first time for me to see my father crying.

 

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your feeling, because my grandmother was hospitalized and she spent 9 month in the hospital. After, she passed away 1 day before I came to Korea to visit her.
    I confused about the diagnose of your grandmother. She was sick only because of grandfather's habit?
    I like your introduction because it is give prehistory of family and grandmother. But I think it would be better to make it shorter.
    Grammar is understandable. In my opinion your short sentence make me understand your feelings.
    I would like to know more about your feeling and maybe what lessons did you learn.
    Valeriya Bek 201301547

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry. I hope your family stays strong. One of my relative passed the way being in hospital for a long time...
    I think it is important to be with your close people when they need you and I did not have a chance for that too because I was far away.
    You mentioned that you grandfather smoked a lot. Was that the reason why she got cancer?
    I think it would be better if you mention more what you felt at that time, your emotions, feelings, what it taught you.
    The story would be better with more description, more showing details.
    I would like to know more what did you feel, what lesson you learned.
    Kseniia Kim 201300918

    ReplyDelete