Sunday, December 27, 2015

IEW / The moment when I found my way to go / Song In-yeong

        Every single young people who are about to graduate their college worries about the job path. Absolutely, I'm the one of them. One of the popular job worries is "What should I follow between my dream and my talent?". I want to present the moment of my life that helped me to figured out which way I should follow.

        I've been in Australia for nine months after I finish my military duty. When I'm back to Korea, It was winter and I was looking for a temporary job, because I wanted to do something exciting before the semester starts. What I found is a English translator job in a herbal medicine exposition. The recruiting company said that I would be living in a dorm room, and that restaurant is available in a cheap price as a worker, so I decided to apply for the position. For the first time in my life, I even got a book that is about writing good resume.
    
        One week after that, I got a phone call from I applied for. "Congratulations. You are hired. We will see in two days at the working place. I will text you the address of there." I was excited and packed my things up and headed to San-cheong, which is two hours away from my home by bus.

        The job wasn't that hard. My job was helping traditional doctors from various country as they diagnose visitors in their own ways. Their own accents and organs' name were problematic for me at first time, but I got used to all of them soon.

        As I mentioned, my job was nothing but lining up visitors who want to try doctors' diagnosis and translating for them. However, from time to time, doctors or any other participants needed to be away from the booth for their meal. Or didn't speak Korean even though most of visitors were local residents. And most of the participants had been there to introduce their medicines or promote their products. Many participants were having trouble for that.

      When I wasn't busy, I helped out other participants. I used to translate for an Australian seller who had been in trouble explaining his product to his potential customers. Also I lined people for a massage booth and explained how they're good for a health during the procedure.

      One important thing I realized was I am talented in service job. I could be smiling all day without any problem. That was the moment I realized that first in my life. I'd never worked as a cashier or waiter before, because my dream was being a chef. That was why I hadn't even tried to be in a service sector.

     At the last day of the expo, all of the participants had shown their appreciation by giving me presents, such as tea, traditional candy, CD, charm, etc. In the bus, I thought that service part is my position to be, not a kitchen. Actually, I had been fired from a few kitchens couple of times due to my bad performances. One of them said, "You are too slow to work as a cook."

       Still, I'd been looking for a cooking position since I didn't want to give up my dream. When I applied for the translator position, I was so tired of being kicked out. The choice I made at that moment changed state of my mind wholly.

     It is beautiful to try hard to make his dream come true. But for someone, it is too difficult to achieve it due to lack of talent. Life gets tougher and tougher to be successful in the field that you are dreaming of, when you are not gifted. If someone is like me, choosing easier way can be reasonable and make your life happier than the time you struggled for a difficult to way to walk.

2 comments:

  1. Daeseong Ko

    It seems that it was really worthy experience. When people give some presents as a meaning of gratitude to me, it feels really great! I had a similar experience.When I worked as a fitness trainer, some people offered a meal to me for appreciation. It was really meaningful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey it's Hwisoo Jung. I could indirectly get your experience reading your writing. It was interesting that you found your real talent, which could be service job and not a cook. And the last part was also helpful for me as you wrote that choosing easier way could be reasonable and make our life happier. In the future, once I can't find a job, I'll try to follow your advice. Thank you for sharing this grate piece of writing with us!

    ReplyDelete