Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Jee-hyoun Kim/ Experiences with writing / IEW

 

I attended International high school. My English wasn't as good as other students. I took English Literature class and the assignments was writing a commentary on Oedipus Rex.  Teacher wanted us to share the assignments with each other, so she showed what I wrote during the class. I used the colloquial term 'boys and girls' in the commentary. The teacher made a joke on it in front of the whole class, and they started to laugh at it so hard. It was the worst experience I've ever had with writing. I became afraid of showing what I wrote in front of people, being worried if I made any mistake.

 

For me to graduate, I had to get over the fear. Not like Korean high school, all the home works are writing an essay in English. I read books such as Macbeth, The Glass Menagerie, Demian. I still can't believe I did read that books in high school, and wrote essays and commentaries. From the experience, I learned that correct grammar and spelling is the base of supporting the topic of the writing. The teacher recommended me not only to write more, but also to read. Reading a book, or writing in English helped me to think more of the importance of the grammar.

 

Writing in English is still hard for me. It is graded or judged by readers depending on the grammar mistake, terms, and organization. I need to put lots of effort and time to finish an essay. The humiliation I had in the high school is stuck in my mind and that made me to fear of writing. Evaluation is unavoidable. I think the only way to get over this fear is to try writing as much as I can. From the failure I had, though I am still on the way of struggling, I will surely find a way to be more confident in writing.

 

4 comments:

  1. That’s really a hurtful experienceㅜㅜThey really shouldn’t have lauaghted at your writing. But I believe your efford will help you overcome it soon and you can become a great writer.I hope you can forget the bad experience with writing. I also think that Reading helps writing a lot too. I think you are making great efford on getting improvment and you are writing well!

    PangWingPui

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is impressive that you've read old masterpieces, because they're full of deep insight about human nature and it means boring. I believe you learned how to be critical at human society and basic understanding about grammar. Those are neccesities to write a good essay. You're sentences are with a little minor errors but every intention you wanted to deliver came to me clearly. So, I can say you can be confident of yourself in writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is impressive that you've read old masterpieces, because they're full of deep insight about human nature and it means boring. I believe you learned how to be critical at human society and basic understanding about grammar. Those are neccesities to write a good essay. You're sentences are with a little minor errors but every intention you wanted to deliver came to me clearly. So, I can say you can be confident of yourself in writing

    ReplyDelete